Cargohold Condition Survey with Virtual Reality

Every vessel or offshore installation, no matter the size and type, has a high potential accident opportunity. While the seaman, surveyors, contractors may be experts in one area, they may not be fully aware of the dangers and potential accidents that can happen onboard.

We in 24marine strongly believe that virtual reality can contribute to decrease the number of preventable accidents and bring a new dimension of details on the survey reporting systems. It has the potential to document conditions, detect failures, perform tests, and save lives in the long-term.

In the video below 24marine team conducted a Virtual Reality Survey on a Cargo Hold, using Enterprise Level Drones and Virtual Reality post-processing referring the spaces to the vessel drawings.  To navigate virtually inside the cargo hold, please click on this link http://www.24marine.com/vrcargohold/

Cargohold inspection with Virtual Reality by 24marine.com

The virtual replication of the surveys spaces allows decision makers to assess the survey areas, in details and without risking any life, a part of introducing big savings on scaffolding, equipment and preparation time. Below a summary of benefits of using virtual reality in cargo hold and confined spaces onboard ships:

  1. Increase quality.
    Virtual reality offers a common spatial experience that leads to better decision-making. Because there are almost no misinterpretations.
  2. Save time and money.
    By allowing a better pre-planning stage, as drones and virtual reality crew and sets are reduced compared with other techniques as scaffolding, ropes crews, cherry-pickers.
  3. Improve survey review.
    The inspected area gets recorded in real time (real life), can be analyzed and re-analyzed as many times as required.
  4. Reduce downtime.
    Surveys performed by drones and Virtual Reality, reduced the impact of surveys times on vessels busy and tied schedules.

Fish Census by ROV

The motion capabilities by ROVs provides new possibilities in surveying methodology not capable by other deep-water (>30 m) or video-based survey techniques. ROV-based sampling strategies often reflected the aims of the study, which could be classified into six major types (Study at the University of Tasmania, Australia https://www.utas.edu.au/):

  1. Surveys in natural habitats,
  2. Surveys on artificial structures,
  3. Surveys in marine protected areas
  4. Opportunistic/exploratory surveys without the use of transects,
  5. Studies that evaluate the effectiveness of ROVs, and
  6. Studies that compare ROVs with other survey methods

ROV can make fish react in different ways, (attraction or avoidance). Studies suggest that most species (68%) behaved neutrally towards the vehicles. But the other 32% Responses to ROV are related to the following factors:

  1. Fish species
  2. Size-specific
  3. ROV Illumination
  4. Thrusters sound emission
  5. Speed of the vehicle
Fish Census by ROV 24marine.com

During Fish Census apart from the Size and Number the most important factor to check is fish health.

  • Regular observation allows farmers to monitor welfare for fish, feeding processes, water conditions and fish behavior.
  • Healthy fishes are profitable farms.
  • Finding symptoms early by monitoring fish behavior, can reduce big losses.
  • Infectious diseases are one of the biggest causes of Loss.

ROV surveys allow for systematic inspection of the sampling area. It is potentially useful where rapid assessments of species diversity within a complex habitat are required.

For more information please go to http://www.24marine.com/, and for many articles check www.fisheries.noaa.gov